The sun is shining, it’s finally about 32* and summer is right around the corner. Although I am not a fan of the concept of a “summer body”, there’s no denying the stress that comes out as the sun starts to shine. Finding acceptance with my body has not been an easy journey, as I am sure many of you can relate.
Being confident in your own skin is essential and sadly, so many of us are unhappy with ourselves. It’s so easy in today’s day and age to compare yourself to others. With airbrushed Instagram fitness “models”, celebrities who go on ridiculous diets, to all of the fad programs you see on TV, it’s no wonder why we can’t accept ourselves when the reality is so far from the expectations.
These false expectations cause many people to simply fail on their fitness journey because they never begin! The crazy part is that not starting and letting the comparison game define you can hinder not only your confidence in your body, but in your self worth. YIKES!
Okay, so beautiful, now it’s time to check your comparison pants at the door and learn to embrace the skin you’re in once and for all.
5 Tips for Rocking Your Body This Summer
(and for life!)
1. STOP COMPARING. End of story. Everyone has their own journey and no two stories are alike. We are all unique. It is crazy to think that you can be the same as the person next to you or the girl you see on TV. You are YOU and that is why you’re loved.
2. LOVE YOURSELF. Instead of picking out all your flaws, each night before bed write down ONE THING about yourself you love. Whether it is in a note on your phone or in a journal next to your bed, at the end of each week, month, and eventually year, you will have a long, positive list of how amazing you truly are. Loving yourself will go beyond just your body, but your mind, heart and soul as well.
3. FIND YOUR FIT. Something I’ve written about before but find to be critically important to accepting yourself. Exercising and being active not only is good for your body and those weight loss (or gain) goals, but it simply just makes you feel good. Endorphins are released when you exercise, think of the phrase “runners high” that comes from those endorphins that trigger positive feelings and emotions. Finding what works for YOU is key in this process. If you’re doing a workout you don’t like or enjoy, it will be difficult to stick to it. Not sure where to start? Let’s chat!
4. NOBODY’S PERFECT. Time to listen to what Miley Cyrus sang about in the early 2000’s. Nobody’s perfect. Cut yourself some slack. Unless you are dieting for a specific reason such as prepping for a bikini competition or for health reasons, there’s NO REASON why you should feel guilty for enjoying life. Not only can this produce negative relationships with food (believe me, I’ve been there), but it can ruin your social/family life! If you want to have a beer with friends every now and then, a piece of cake after dinner, an ice cream on a sunny day – DO IT! Food should not be used as a punishment, neither should excessive working out my friends.
5. EMBRACE THE JOURNEY. As stated above, self-love, acceptance and your fitness and health journey is a process. It’s a journey. It’s your special journey. It does not belong to anyone else. There will be ups and downs and that’s part of the process. Having the correct support systems can be a huge difference maker when you have a group of people rooting for you. You do not need to do this alone!
So ladies, repeat after me.
I am beautiful.
My body, mind and soul are strong.
I am worthy.
I am deserving.
I am not perfect, but I am strong.
I am brave.
I will not compare myself to others.
I will rock whatever the fuck I want with pride, because I can.
I am beautiful.
How will you boost your confidence this summer? Share below!